Chicago, IL, United States
Oct 06, 2020
The Nursing Skills Lab Assistant has the primary responsibility of organizing learning experiences in the nursing skills lab on campus. This position involves collaboration with all nursing faculty that teach courses requiring practice in the skills lab.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
1. Bachelor’s degree in Nursing
2. Current Illinois Registered Nurse licensure
3. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds without accommodation
Years of Experience Required
Current Illinois Registered Nurse licensure
See knowledge, Skills and Abilities above.
1. One-year experience in a Nursing Skills Laboratory
2. One-year experience in a student-centered environment
3. Experience working with faculty or administrators relative to students’ needs
4. Experience assisting Program Managers and other key subject-area faculty and administrators with functional area demands
5. Experience with simulation activities in a simulation lab
6. Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
Normal climate-controlled office environment is provided. There is a need to move about the laboratory frequently. Occasional bending, stooping, lifting, pushing and/or pulling is required (typically less than 45 pounds of weight or pressure). Regular use of desktop computer is required, calling for frequent hand/wrist movement and repetition. Moderate level of stress.
Priority Application Instructions
Departmental Contact Information
Essential Job Functions
Duty and Responsibility
1. Assist nursing faculty to implement the skills laboratory curriculum. This includes the use of a variety of patient care equipment and supplies, use of computer-based instruction tools and programs.
2. Ensure the availability of properly functioning equipment and supplies.
3. Assist with and set up all skills labs, practice sessions, and on-campus labs offered in all nursing courses.
4. Assess laboratory space to ensure compliance with
and other regulatory agencies.
5. Ensure all laboratory equipment is properly maintained and functioning.
6. Provide instruction relative to the use of laboratory equipment and nursing practice and procedures. 7. Monitor inventory of all laboratory supplies and equipment in the skills lab.
8. Process requests for nursing instructional equipment and materials necessary for the skills laboratory in conjunction with nursing faculty and the Director of Nursing.
9. Schedule and supervise guided practice sessions for all nursing students under the direction of the Lab Faculty.
10. Assist with simulation activities in the Nursing Simulation Lab with low and high-fidelity mannequins.
11. Lift manikins and equipment.
12. Perform administrative and record-keeping duties as assigned.
13. Assist with student tutoring needs.
Percentage Of Time
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Do you have an earned bachelor's degree in nursing? Yes
Do you have current Illinois Nursing licensure? Yes