Washington State University
Pullman, WA, United States
Assistant to the Associate Dean and Director
This position is in a Bargaining Unit
Summary of Duties
This position is responsible to the Associate Dean/Director of
Extension and provides direct administrative support to the Associate Dean/Director and to the Assistant Director. The person in this position will have a broad range of responsibilities related to the activities and operations of
Extension, including acting as administrative coordinator, often on complex and confidential issues, for internal and external constituencies such as, other units of
, both in Pullman and throughout the state, with other state and federal offices, and with stakeholders.
The position provides overall management of administrative operations for the office of the Associate Dean for
Extension and is the lead coordinator for training extension program administrative managers in areas of personnel, payroll, travel, fiscal, and other administrative processes. Participates as part of the
Extension leadership staff providing input on policy and procedural matters.
The position requires a high degree of professionalism and strong communication and organizational skills. This individual will work with the Administrative Team in implementing policies and guidelines for
View the Benefits overview
for information regarding competitive benefits available.
Job Appointment (FTE%)
Position Term in Months
Commensurate with Qualifications and Experiences.
Positions require a Bachelor’s degree in business administration or other relevant field
five (5) years of managing administrative support experience. Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
1. A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or other relevant field and five (5) years of progressively responsible administrative support experience. Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
2. Demonstrated ability to make travel arrangements, coordinate schedules and prepare itineraries.
3. Demonstrated ability to think logically, demonstrate good judgment, and solve problems as they occur, including the ability to recall, analyze and organize information.
4. Demonstrated experience in working in an environment requiring confidentiality, tact, diplomacy, and sensitivity.
5. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
1. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
2. Demonstrated ability to function positively in a fast-paced, professional environment; to manage interruptions; to meet deadlines; and to provide high quality service to all constituents.
3. Proficient with all MS Office computer applications for preparation of agenda, minutes, correspondence, reports and presentations.
4. Demonstrated ability in event planning, from inception to completion.
5. Demonstrated ability to manage several different projects or tasks simultaneously.
6. Previous experience supervising staff and/or students.
7. Previous experience with distance technologies to conduct the business of the organization, including conference calls and videoconferencing.
8. Ability to work independently, plan ahead, and take initiative to prepare for both routine and non-routine work demands.
9. Demonstrated knowledge of land-grant University mission, operations, policies, and procedures.
10. Experience as an executive assistant.
11. Experience in preparing for and planning meetings and special events.
12. Ability to contribute constructively to the mission of
Will this position require a background check?
This position has been designated by the department to require a background check
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Screening of applicants will begin on February 18, 2019 and will remain Open Until Filled.
Applicants must attach the following documents to their online application: 1) resume 2) a cover letter and 3) contact information for at least three (3) professional references. Application materials should clearly communicate how the applicant meets all required qualifications and additional requirements
. Members of ethnic minorities, women, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam-era, recently separated veterans, and other protected veterans, persons of disability and/or persons age 40 and over are encouraged to apply.
employs only U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized non-U.S. citizens. All new employees must show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact Human Resource Services: 509-335-4521(v), Washington State
Relay Service: Voice Callers: 1-800-833-6384;
Callers: 1-800-833-6388, 509-335-1259(f), or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reference Contact Info
Washington State University
Phone : 509-335-4521
Website : http://www.wsu.edu
Washington State University conducts transformational research and provides world-class education to more than 26,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Founded in 1890 in Pullman, it is Washington’s original land-grant university, with a mission of improving quality of life.