There are a lot of teaching jobs that are in demand and it continues to increase as the thirst for acquisition of knowledge and skills continue to rise in the midst of advancement of technology. There are a lot of vacancies and opportunities that are posted on different websites, from elementary private school teaching jobs, to higher education teaching jobs and to international teaching jobs. The purpose of teaching is not just to teach the students how to get all the correct answers and how to memorize the facts, but it lies in getting the students to better understand the concept of being examined.
Here are the common myths about teaching jobs.
- Teaching jobs are easy because teachers start to work around 8 in the morning and end at 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Teachers are one of the most hardworking people because they just don't work from 8am to 3pm. They usually show up earlier than the time so they can prepare and make the last minute arrangements for the students. In the afternoon, they don't leave the building immediately. There are staff meetings, after school duties, conferences and meetings and these are usually unpaid hours for teachers. When they go home, they still work. They make lesson plans, compute the grades of students, check exams and tests, analyze and process what to do the next day. A lot of teachers work overtime uncompensated because they need to while others enjoy doing so.
- Do teachers enjoy their summer? To most teachers, they don't get what they want to do during summer vacations. Some of the teachers have to leave school for the summer but most don't. Teaching jobs still eat their summer time with preparations for the curriculum guides, lesson plans, setting goals, learning new teaching skills that will be applied and getting updated. There are a lot of things and work to do during summer and for teachers, some of them take on additional teaching jobs part of their summer break.
- Teaching is an easy profession compared to other professions like marketing and banking which makes it a little bit damaging for teachers. Teaching jobs are not easy as they face a lot of students with different backgrounds and different learning capacities. They will be faced by students coming from different socio-economic backgrounds and ethnicities. Teaching jobs are very challenging as they go also coast to coast and relocating themselves as part of their profession.
- Staying updated. When you think you know the subject, teaching is not a big deal. It is still a big deal because you have to keep updated with what course or subject you teach or else your students will become more knowledgeable.
- You need to be sensitive, especially when teaching preschool students. One slip and you might be charged for being tough and rough on kids. You may take all the blame for no reason if you fail to make a good defense. There could be frequent complaints and therefore you should be sensitive and stay focused.
- Fine tuning method. There are students that have difficulty with the language and teachers have to give extra time and effort to these students. To stay on the job, teachers have to excel in their work and produce good results. There are different methods that can be applied in teaching and because they are dealing with different students and problems, they need to sometimes adapt and find a method applicable for their students.