The job profile of a music teacher varies according to the type of work and the position they hold. Private music teachers have students from all age groups as most people learn music as it's their passion. Many are quite serious about it and dream to build a career in this field. Here are the roles that a music teacher needs to perform:
- Providing music instruction to students by creating a fun and friendly atmosphere
- Planning and supervising musical shows in school and preparing students for the same
- Helping students in rehearsals and instructing them how to perform better
- Teaching music and different musical instruments
- Private music teachers need to visit students' homes to teach lessons
- Those who run their own music class also need to take care of the advertising and promotional activities.
- Accompanying students on school trips to music studio
- Encouraging students to perform better and providing them constructive feedback
The teachers before coming into this profession are required to undertake training in the field of music. To teach in a school, you need to have a teaching certificate or a bachelor's degree in music. For teaching in college or university a doctoral degree is preferred or any equivalent degree. To start you own music studio or to take private lessons a degree is not always needed as long as one has excellent knowledge of music and talent.
The salary of music teachers depend on the education qualification and the past working experience. Normally they are paid on hourly basis or if they are connected to colleges or schools they are offered monthly salary. Normally the rate per hour is around $20 to $30 but this can even rise to around $50 if the music teacher has a good reputation. Music teachers in public elementary and secondary schools earn about $45,000 whereas those teaching in colleges or universities get around $75,000 annually.
Teaching music was once an unconventional career choice, which is becoming popular these years. Many people all over the world are taking up music as their career choice. The increase in the number of music reality shows has made the profession all the more popular.
You may join the music industry as a music composer, musician or singer. Some people decide to work on improving their musical skills and take part in shows and musical concerts to expose their talent to the world. For the music lovers, music is part of their life and they can't live without it. Music is a vast field and there are huge opportunities in the market for a person to grow. Music field is not gender oriented as both male and female can make their names in this industry.