Elementary School Teacher Job scope and responsibility
Once we talk about an elementary school teacher, we think about the small kids. This is, in fact, the scope of the job i.e. to teach and take responsibility for primary school children, generally aged between 5 to 10 years. However, choice for applying to the elementary school teacher job should not be considered solely thinking it is an occupation for fun and games. These teachers have a very high responsibility with right credentials to manage and meet the demands of children in their formative years. So, a typical responsibility for an elementary school teacher job except teaching their specialized subject would include preparing for the presentations and lessons to teach in the class, evaluate marks from papers, meet parents and suggest the proper guidance for the child, take part in social and school activities, etc. This job gives a scope for improvement in the career of education by accepting the challenge of educating young minds. This way it can help for promotion as a high school teacher too.
Pre-requisites for elementary school teacher job
This job has some pre-requisite qualification, experience and training that should be adhered to while applying for the job.
- The minimum qualification mentions to have at least a bachelor's degree in the field of education or some related field. For example, B.A. in English qualification can apply for an elementary school teacher job for the post of English.
- It also asks for some form of elementary teacher preparation that generally comes as certification programs as an alternative.
- There also should be a minimum duration of student teaching experience or practical course, where the candidate should be observed and given feedback to develop the teaching skills.
- There are also Teacher Competency Examinations specific to the states that must be completed.
- The last step is to search for an available elementary school teacher job.
To acquire these qualifications and focused towards the aim of succeeding an elementary school teacher job post, there are some instructions and basics available that will always help.
- Being motivated towards becoming an elementary teacher: The motives should not be as of reconstructing the society or fighting poverty and oppression etc. Thinking practically, an elementary school teacher job's main responsibility is to mentor their student and guide them towards their career destination. So, getting a well rounded education to impart knowledge to the children is the first priority. The candidate should chose the field of interest and should achieve the minimum qualification necessary for being a teacher.
- Being a dynamic teacher: One other elementary school teacher job responsibility is to increase and refine competencies that is associated and also not associated but indirectly affecting teaching. For example, a teacher is also expected to answer the general knowledge question in the class as not answering those will discourage the students to have curiosity.
- Association with students: The job of an elementary teacher is more difficult in terms of dealing with that particular age group of students. So, many times it is preferred to have knowledge in child psychology and even volunteer for working with the young children in your area or with NGOs (Non Governmental Organisation).
- To realize that all school's curriculum are not equal: To become a truly efficient elementary teacher, the candidate need to know that all elementary school don't have the same curriculums and so a research should be done while considering for the elementary school teacher job. In fact, there are many materials and methodologies that are available and can be used by the candidate to improve the traditional curriculum.
- To keep up-to-date by joining a professional association: There are professional organizations available such as the American Federation of Teachers or the National Education Association who furnish many details regarding to teacher's job. This information can be achieved at all the time to keep self up-to-date.
- Prepare for the elementary school politics, too: This is an out of the book learning that in any group it is rare that different people will share the same point of view. So, just being prepared to respect those conflicting views will create a better atmosphere and learning work environment.
- Maintaining open attitude: This is a normal human attitude issue that is most important for the candidates to ensure before applying to elementary school teacher job. Any kind of criticism in school by a parent or a student or by a peer should be accepted constructively and worked upon. People lend their expertise to other people who are open to work on their weaknesses.