- Keep a positive approach. It is important to focus on the benefits of a job fair. You will learn about school districts, find out about potential job opportunities, and have the opportunity to determine what it is that you want in a potential employment position.
- Review and update your resume. Ensure that your resume is current and professional. You should have at least 20 or 30 copies to hand out. Additionally, you may want more than one style (i.e., accomplishments-based and chronologically-based resumes).
- Be prepared. Ensure that you have reviewed the list of school districts, explored their websites, and spent some time gathering information, as it will show your enthusiasm and genuine interest.
- Know your career goals. Be prepared to answer questions regarding your career goals and where you see yourself within the next five years.
- Prepare questions to ask. You will want to ask specific information on the school district, their goals, and their mission statement. Also, you will want to ask about the positions available and the career development opportunities.
- Relax and enjoy. Remember you have already prepared for this great event. Now is the time to create a positive impression.
- Meet and Greet. Introduce yourself to district representatives and remember to establish and maintain solid eye contact. Present a firm handshake and have your polished resume ready to hand out.
- Remain positive and friendly. Keep your energy level high and remember that even though you are repeating the same thing to each person, the information is new to each individual.
- Maintain good notes. Take comprehensive notes, as the representatives at the job fair may not be able to answer all of your questions. Keep the names and phone numbers of those you may want to contact later. Make sure you ask for representative's business cards.
- Discuss your skills. Be prepared to discuss your skills, interests, background, and career objectives. You need to sell yourself, so be ready to discuss your benefits and advantages. Note your key features that make you stand out from the others.
About the Author
Candace Davies, Owner of A+ Resumes for Teachers, is a Global Career Management Professional dedicated to assisting educators worldwide to leverage their strengths, accomplishments, and unique selling points to capture their dream position. Her team has successfully assisted 3000-plus education professionals by transforming their talents into concise documents that secure numerous interviews, leading to excellent job offers. Candace is certified as a Professional Resume Writer, Certified Employment Interview Professional, Certified Interview Coach, Certified Electronic Career Coach, and Certified Career Coach. Please visit her website at resumes-for-teachers.com, send her an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call toll-free 877-738-8052.